Some companies employ their own in-house drivers/couriers and even dispatchers while others outsource drivers/couriers, dispatchers or both. So which option is best for you and your company?
To answer that question, we need to take a close look at the dollar cost, time, energy and liability involved with both options.
OPTION ONE – In-House Drivers and Dispatchers
- Hourly wage/salary
- Vehicle acquisition and monthly payment
- Vehicle maintenance
- Hourly wage/salary of employee(s) managing drivers/dispatchers
- Accounting/Human Resources time and resources involved
- Hiring of new drivers (ads, interviewing by company manager, etc)
- Hours spent hiring and training new drivers
- Scrambling to find replacement driver(s) when one or more drivers are out sick, on vacation, quit, etc.
- Overall management of drivers and dispatchers
- Internal processes and accountability of drivers and dispatchers
- Liability is directly on you/your company
OPTION TWO – Parterning/Outsourcing With Right Partner
- Flat, fixed rate per pick-up/delivery or per day
- All dollar costs associated with in-house drivers and dispatchers (listed above) are no longer your responsibility
- Hiring, firing, training and management of drivers and dispatchers is no longer your responsibility
- With fully trained, back-up drivers and dispatchers on stand-by 24/7/365, you will never be down a driver(s) or dispatcher nor have to scramble to find a replacement
- Drivers and dispatchers follow your guidelines as to paperwork, processes, etc., managed by outsourcing partner
- Lower your liability by working with an experienced and capable DME/medical courier and logistics company who is in process of becoming DMEPOS Accredited (DMEPOS Accreditation is very rare in the courier/logistics industry due to cost, time, energy and strict guidelines involved with becoming and staying accredited)
Your Specific Industry and Business Model
Some people and companies believe that keeping everything “close to the vest” is the only way to ensure a high level of service. The “close control over everything” mentality is nothing new nor anything to be looked down upon – all of us believe that to one degree or another.
One thing many people and companies have learned by partnering with the right courier and logistics company is that you can still maintain close control over your pick-ups and deliveries while providing the same, if not higher level of service to your patients/customers at a reduced cost to your company.
For most, this was not learned overnight. Despite realizing the cost savings immediately, many “baby steps” had to be taken until trust was truly earned. Once that trust is truly earned, the partnership thrives and flourishes with both companies helping each other grow their business.
To learn more about Speeedy Courier’s DME and Medical Division services and pricing structure, click here to contact us. We would love to see if and how we can partner with you to help improve service and efficiency, lower costs and grow your business and ours.